Google Maps is filled with several useful features that you can use for an everyday commute. With Google Maps, you can seamlessly set home and work addresses for a seamless navigation experience on the selected locations. Moreover, the directions can also give you a heads up regarding the forthcoming turns & freeway exits. The best thing about Google Maps is that you can also avoid tolls, only if you’re aware of the feature.
Chad Kimball gives a proper insight into how to anable the feature on both desktop and mobile Google Maps.
Avoid the Toll Feature on the Mobile App Version of Google Maps:
Avoiding tolls via Google Maps is quite an easy task which you can accomplish in a few clicks. Here’s what is required of you:
- On your smartphones, open Google Maps.
- Type in the destination which you need to do a search of in the search bar.
- Type in Directions.
- When you see three vertical dots placed next to Your Location, You need to click on it.
- Then you’d have to tap on the option, i.e., Route.
- Now place a tick on the box placed right next to another option called ‘Avoid tolls’- Now you can seamlessly avoid any ferries and highways right from your screen.
By relying on the usual settings, you might also need to toggle if you wish to correct the transportation mode—for instance, walking vs car vs two-wheeler and stuff like that.
How to avoid the tolls feature if you’re using a desktop version of the app?
There are many differences between the desktop and the app version of Google Maps. The process with the desktop version is also quite similar. However, there are a few changes which you need to consider to avoid tolls:
- On your desktop visit the website: maps.google.com
- Type in the destination directly in the search bar located at the screen’s top left side.
- Now click on the option name, direction, and then put in the starting point. By the looks of it, the starting point is the place where you begin your journey. As you start to input specific options, it will autofill an individual search bar. Moreover, when the right option pops-up, you’ve to click on it. (You can also add your address like work, preset, home, or anything to save the settings and changes.
- Now, you’ve to keep clicking on specific ‘Option’ which you’ll find just below the destination information as well as the starting point of the left-hand sidebar.
- You’ll find a section called ‘Avoid,’ now you’d have to tick on the box placed next to Tolls – a new route will generate.
You can entirely rely on the tactile avenue of printed directions which would provide you with absolute peace of mind. While you navigate through some of the new areas, make sure that your device has enough juice to make the trip hassle-free while using the most popular GPS application.